Sunday, April 19, 2009

To Buy? Or Not to Buy?

Those are the questions weighing heavily on our minds these days. Matthew and I are thinking about buying a home. We have been fortunate to live in his family's old home for the last couple of years rent free. I say "rent free" but it hasn't been without its fixer-up projects. We've installed new flooring in the living room, nursery, hallway, and main bathroom. We've painted the kitchen, dining room, living room, living room ceiling/skylights, hallway, nursery, extra bedroom, master bedroom, and main bathroom. We've cut down dead trees. Planted new trees. Dug flowerbeds, and removed giant creepy bushes from the front of the house. We've made this house our own, but we are starting to feel the need to move on.

For starters, we'd both like to be in town. Technically our address is Amarillo, but we don't live inside the city limits. It takes me about 25 minutes to drive to work. Matthew works in downtown Amarillo so it takes him about 45 minutes to drive to work. We'd both like to be closer to work. We'd also like to be in a newer home. Country living has worn out its welcome with both of us. It's quiet out here, but when the wind blows there is nothing to block it and it sounds like we are living on a ship at sea! There is also the problems of snakes in the summer and the tarantula migration in the fall. Country living has toughened me up, that's for sure. I've learned to battle snakes on my own (even if it means tossing them in our pool...which is now the snake pit) and catapulting tarantulas across the dirt road into the neighbor's pasture.

I think I've proven I'm tougher than I look. Green acres is no place for me. We are currently eyeing a home the block behind my parents. It's a few years old and it's on a couple lots. It would give us room to grow in case we decided to expand our family. (Not that we are even thinking about this right now!) The location would also be ideal since my mom is going to watch the girls when I return to work. Anyhow, it's something we are discussing and thinking very seriously about. I'll keep everyone updated on our decisions as we make them.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Wow Kelly I had no idea you had so many critters out there and I never would have thought in a million years you would tackle them the way you described! Scary!! I can see why you are considering a new home and this is definitely a great time to buy. It's super nice to have family real close too...my inlaws are just a couple blocks away. I can't wait to hear what you guys decide. Good luck!