Thursday, June 4, 2009

West Texas Weather

I attempted a quick trip into Target this evening to be greeted by a fast approaching storm as I left. I had the girls with me. I'm sure I looked ridiculous running to the car pushing my Cadillac of a double stroller. Graceful I was not! Thankfully, it was only lightly sprinkling and I was able to get the girls tucked away in the car before the rain really hit.

As soon as we were all snug in my blazer, the tornado sirens went off. For those of you that don't know, it takes me about 25 minutes to drive home from Target. Needless to say I was heading straight into the heart of the storm.

I was about halfway down 2219 when that little voice inside you starts tugging at your ear telling you to turn around. Since it wasn't raining too hard, I forged ahead and made it home just in time. I got the car parked in the garage, shut the door behind me, and ran like crazy through the kitchen to the back door to get the dogs in the whole time praying they had sense enough to lay on the back porch and not run through the rain like nut jobs. My prayers were answered! Clean, mostly dry dogs! I put them in their kennels and then I was running back out to the car to get the girls in.

We lost satellite and Internet connection for a brief time so I wasn't able to follow the storm. I kept looking outside preparing myself that I might have to toss the diaper bag in a closet and climb in with the girls. We survived unscathed. Matthew called later to tell me that the National Weather Service confirmed a tornado touchdown at 2219 and City Lake Road. City Lake is the road you turn on to get to my house. That intersection is only about a mile to a mile and a half away from my house. It was sighted the same time I was driving home. How scary is that?

After the storm, I stepped out on the front porch and was able to get some good pictures of the rainbows that appeared as the storm headed south and the sun came back out.



2 comments:

Katie said...

SCARY!! I can't imagine going through what you just described. How in the world did you do that? I don't like storms at all....

You had beautiful rainbows after all the scary stuff! Thank GOD!

PS I cant wait for more pictures and news - you know I am a faithful reader because I love you!

Angela C said...

I'm glad you made it home safely. Jesus held you in his hand that evening....
:)
Your girls are growing too fast! Tell them to stop it!