Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My heart stopped...

...today when my husband told me over the phone that the dogs were missing. He went out in the backyard to make sure they had enough water and the back gate was open. Matthew spent an hour and a half looking for Jack and Izzy with no luck. Of course he calls me around 1:00 to relay the bad news, but I don't get the message until 1:30.

I literally felt my stomach lurch and had to tell myself to keep breathing as I'm yelling at him over the phone and asking why he didn't call my mom and have her continue looking when he had to go to work. I felt like I had lost a child. All I could think about was living in BFE and all that could happen to our pampered pooches.

I called my mom and she was quick to head out to our house with my aunt and cousin in tow. By sheer luck of a miracle, someone had found our dogs and put them back in our yard and closed the gate. Matthew left it open in case they came back. They let the dogs in and got them squared away in their kennels and headed back into town.

By the time my mom and I made it back out to the house, the back gate was open again. Obviously the dogs hadn't figured out to unlatch it because they were in the house. It was a stiff push to get the gate closed back tight and latched. Anyhow, Mom chained and locked all four of our gates.

I have never been so thankful to see a poop covered Izzy and dirty Jack. Yes, that's right, Izzy relished her freedom by rolling in poop. Jack and her were both punished with baths. They spent the rest of the night sleeping. I can only imagine what kind of adventure they had together. I'm just glad they are safe and at home.

Oh, and the stupid bastard that keeps opening our gate...don't you know you'll get your ass shot in the country for doing shit like that?

1 comment:

Havedirt Willshare said...

Do you remember covering my class when Dale called me at work hystarical because the dogs were got out at our new house? I would have returned the favor if I was still at Avondale. I am glad you found them.