Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Two Weeks

Friday morning I took Ava in for her two week check. I was a bit devastated to learn that she hadn't gained any weight. The day we left the hospital she weighed 6 pounds 14 ounces. At her two week check Ava weighed 6 pounds 13 ounces. I sat in the pediatricians office and cried. (I'm blaming my poor hormones.) I felt deflated. I had been up around the clock nursing this baby, and she lost weight?!?!? The good news is Ava grew in length and measured 20.5 inches.
Ava's doctor asked if I was still using a shield to which I replied yes. I was told no more. After her appointment I took Ava home to feed her sans shield. A task I was dreading.
The lactation consultants lie to you in the hospital. Breastfeeding does hurt. It feels like your nipple is being attacked by a razor blade when baby latches on. It is toe curling, curse word muttering pain! The only thing that keeps me going is that sweet little face of Ava's. I know it's the best thing for her, so in the meantime, I'll mutter those words in my head and hope that I don't tear the arm of the chair off!
















- Posted by Kelly using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: